Providing and sustaining a workplace where “no one gets hurt” is paramount at ARAMARK. We work toward that goal every day through comprehensive Safety and Risk Control (S&RC) programs aimed at achieving the highest levels of occupational, food, and environmental safety for our own employees and those of our clients. By making safety a priority across our organization, we aim to build a workplace where people can reach their full potential to deliver truly exceptional experiences, environments, and outcomes.
Fundamental to this safety strategy are several strong convictions:
- All incidents that lead to losses (people, assets, business, and the environment) are preventable by continually improving systems and processes.
- Managing risk by creating a safe and efficient workplace enhances overall business success.
- S&RC processes are most effective when integrated into all business functions.
- Involving employees at all levels is vital to successful implementation of S&RC strategies.
- Ownership of S&RC processes by operational leaders is essential to achieving our goals.
Each year, ARAMARK S&RC team members develop Strategic Loss Improvement Plans based on prioritized safety risks, establish goals and performance metrics, and then carefully monitor the execution and results of those plans. Likewise, the ARAMARK Risk Management System helps us to identify, evaluate, manage, and control risk to ensure continuous improvement throughout the organization. This system creates and applies business-friendly tools for many risk categories based on standardized processes and programs and simple metrics.
Proper training promotes safety for ARAMARK employees in their various work environments and is a vital component of our S&RC processes. Innovative e-learning and DVD/video training programs employing state-of-the-art technologies help our employees learn more quickly and easily.
Occupational Safety & Health
ARAMARK employs several unique tools targeted at mitigating the most prevalent injuries and exposures across our businesses:
- Safe STEP (Slip, Trip Elimination Process) protects people from injury by preventing slips, trips, and falls.
- The ErgoTEC (Targeted Exposure Control) process reduces exposure to the ergonomic risks that lead to musculoskeletal injuries.
- Safety Enabling Systems — including chemical hazard communication, bloodborne pathogen control, and personal protective equipment — manage exposure to risk and ensure compliance with OSHA and other regulatory agency requirements.
S&RC food safety experts build operational strategies to maintain the highest levels of food safety for our clients. We employ global food guidelines — from supplier and personnel standards to site and product/process standards — to ensure the success of these strategies.
ARAMARK’s S&RC experts have developed comprehensive strategies to increase environmental awareness and provide training, compliance tools, and guidance to our employees. These experts also work with our business leaders to address any legacy or other environmental aspects that are unique to their operations.
Decision Metrics and Monitoring
We have developed a powerful system to assist our clients in managing and monitoring these complex safety processes. We share dashboards and scorecards to help clients monitor the execution and overall results of the various risk control processes on a daily basis, giving them the knowledge they need for solid decision making and optimal functioning of the S&RC systems.